Though Tourism Kelowna's Travel Media program was on hold throughout 2021, we were able to support a handful of visits in collaboration with our partners at Destination BC, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, Serena PR, and Wine Growers of BC. From those visits, and past media familiarization tours, Kelowna and area did continue to receive positive coverage that helped to push consideration for travel in markets that were not impacted by restrictions, as well as build awareness for future travel in other markets.
Below are some of the highlights from fall and early winter in 2021:
- "The 9 Charming Towns in British Columbia I've Missed Visiting the Most" by Peggy Cleveland for Travel Awaits
- "BC fall road trip: 6 Okanagan restaurants that marry wine and food perfectly" by Lindsay William-Ross for Vancouver is Awesome
- "Travelling with Disabilities: How Far We've Come and Where We Go from Here" by Lisa Kadane for enRoute
- "How to Spend a Weekend in Beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia" by Alison Brown for Travel Awaits
- "Kelowna's playground is best enjoyed on two wheels" by Lisa Kadane for PostMedia Network
- "Family Escape" by Noa Nichol for VITA
- "8 Underrated Wine Regions Every Oenophile Needs to Know About" for Yahoo Life
- "6 unforgettable fall experiences to have in Kelowna, BC" by Lisa Kadane for Matador Network
- "Best Things to do in Kelowna, British Columbia" by The Planet D
- "Spectacular wineries and vineyards from around the world" by Liz Barrett Foster for MSN
- "Top 5 Ski Resorts in Canada: Readers' Choice Awards 2021" for Condé Nast Traveler
- "A road trip with a Golden reward" by Suzanne Morphet for PostMedia Network
- "Kelowna, BC is the perfect place to wine and dine this fall" by Lisa Kadane for Matador Network
- "Wine lover? Consider visiting the Okanagan in Canada instead of California's Napa Valley" by Karen Gardiner for The Washington Post
Over the course of 2021, we had over 220 placements with a reach of nearly 78 million. To view highlight coverage from the first half of 2021, click here.
Locally, we've continued working with KelownaNow to encourage residents to support local and #exploreKelownaToday through fall and winter with monthly guides:
- Your official guide to October in Kelowna
- Your official guide to November in Kelowna
- Your official guide to December in Kelowna
- Your official guide to shopping local this holiday season
In 2022, as long as conditions permit, there will be three proactive media visits:
- Winter wine & dine, plus ski with a focus on Ontario and Quebec outlets
- Spring outdoor activities, agriculture, and food with a focus on Alberta/Western Canada outlets
- Fall will be focused on food and wine with BC and Western Canada outlets being targeted
Though the angles and pitches for these visits are still being refined, the media targeted will be from key markets, as mentioned, to help drive awareness and consideration for travel in Kelowna in each season. Similarly, social media influencer visits are planned for each season to reach niche markets in Canada to drive awareness of ways to explore Kelowna in a safe and responsible manner. These visits will also help fill content gaps, as we will receive photo and video assets from each visit, in addition to the social reach and influence.
Have a new or unique product or experience that you'd like to let travel media know about? Email me at email@example.com with information! Story ideas, along with media request replies and pitches, will be happening throughout the year.