In 2022, Tourism Kelowna's Travel Media program resumed in a reduced capacity, allowing our team to once again showcase our destination through select familiarization tours.
In the spring, we partnered with the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) BC Chapter to highlight culinary and wine delights that travellers could look forward to enjoying on their next vacation to Kelowna. In September, we worked with Destination BC to host international media, focusing on an outdoor adventure with a boat tour and cycling at Myra Canyon, in addition to showing off the wide range of wine experiences we have available in our area.
Throughout the year, we also assisted Wine Growers of BC, Serena PR, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, and Destination BC with media requests and visits that included stops in Kelowna. We look forward to sharing coverage from these collaborations as articles are published in 2023.
Over the course of 2022, we had over 380 media placements with a reach of 210 million. Articles were published nationally and internationally, with features in publications like the Calgary Herald, New York Times, and most notably, Vogue, which included the Okanagan in its piece, 12 Underrated Wine Regions to Visit This Fall, According to the Experts.
Additional highlights from the year included:
- Vacation Alternatives for the Budget Conscious, Elaine Glusac, New York Times
- Olsen: Go for broke on a girls' getaway to B.C., Debbie Olsen, Calgary Herald
- Family travel: Family falls for Kelowna's autumn harvest season, Mhairri Woodhall, Calgary Sun
- This Small City Is One of Canada’s Best-Kept Secrets, Lisa Kadane, AFAR
- 7 Fitness-Friendly Adventures in British Columbia, Erin Phelan, Best Health Magazine
- Kelowna LGBTQ Travel Guide: Where to Go and What to See, Brian Webb, Homoculture
- Okanagan et Similkameen, des vallées et des vins qui ravissent les sens!, Olivier de Maisonneuve, samyrabbat.com
- Where are the best places to eat in Kelowna?, Linda Barnard, ocanada.com
- In Kelowna, Culinary Culture Levels Up, Adrian Brijbassi, Vacay.ca
- The Most Spectacular Wineries and Vineyards For Wine Enthusiasts To Visit, Liz Barett Foster, The Impulse Traveler
In 2022, we also continued working with local media outlets to encourage residents to support local.
Media and influencer visits for 2023 are still in the planning stages and we look forward to seeing the Travel Media program back in full swing this year. In addition to the traditional Kelowna highlights, the focus of our story pitches this year will include sustainability, Indigenous culture, the growing brewery presence in Kelowna, and mountain biking.
Media can access our new 2023 Flat Sheet highlighting story ideas.
For tourism businesses in and around Kelowna, email me (email@example.com) with information about new or unique products or experiences you're offering in 2023 so we can inform media as opportunities arise. We will be compiling story ideas and handling media request replies/pitches throughout the year.