For more than 10 years, Tourism Week in Canada has been presented by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) and tourism associations across the country, including the Tourism Industry Association of BC (TIABC) and Destination BC (DBC), to encourage all tourism partners to come together to celebrate tourism as vital to the Canadian economy and to the social and cultural fabric of communities across the nation.
This year, Tourism Week in Canada kicks off on Sunday, April 24 and runs until Sunday, April 30. This year's theme, CANADA: Powered by Tourism!, highlights how the rebuilding of Canada’s visitor economy is key to Canada’s overall economic growth. TIAC is once again challenging destinations, landmarks, attractions, venues, and hotels to light up in green during the week as part of its #GreenMeansGo campaign to raise awareness of the tourism industry’s economic, social, and cultural importance in Canada.
Join us in showcasing the value of tourism in Kelowna and the Central Okanagan by using the key messages, fast facts, assets, and suggested social media captions we've assembled in our Industry Toolkit, which can be accessed via DropBox here. We also encourage you to share posts from our Value of Tourism webpage, which includes content pieces highlighting the perspectives of area businesses and residents.
Additional information and resources for Tourism Week are available at the following links:
We encourage you to showcase your business’ contributions through your channels during Tourism Week. Here are a few ideas for you to consider:
- Highlight the work of a long-standing team member, welcome new faces, or give a shout-out to those who have made a difference over the past year.
- Share a quote or testimonial from a customer or supplier.
- Showcase uplifting stories or interesting tidbits about your business to further connect with visitors and locals.
- Share photos on social media of your staff and volunteers travelling throughout the province and participating in Tourism Week activities.
- Take photos of other tourism activities in the region that you can share (attractions, tourism employees, visitor centre, welcome signage, etc.)
When sharing content on social media, be sure to include the following hashtags:
You can also follow TIAC, TIABC, and Destination BC on social media:
- TIAC: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- TIABC: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Destination BC: Twitter and LinkedIn.
Share, like, and retweet content from these channels and Tourism Kelowna's channels to help spread the word about Tourism Week. We look forward to celebrating with our industry partners near and far!