This fall, Kelowna will welcome visitors from across the globe for the second edition of the Pan Continental Curling Championships, which are taking place at the Kelowna Curling Club from October 29 to November 4, 2023. Having hosted three previous World Curling championships—the World Women's in 1986, the World Juniors in 2002, and the World Mixed in 2018—Kelowna has excellent experience with these events.
During the week-long event, world-class athletes, coaching staff, family and friends, and curling fans, some of whom may be visiting for the first time, will be exploring downtown Kelowna and beyond, meaning that the number of people in our city will be much higher than usual for this time of year.
Read on to learn more about the Championships and how you can prepare to warmly welcome these visitors!
- The Pan Continental Curling Championships 2023—created when two previous zones, the Americas and Pacific-Asia zone, were merged in September 2021—will qualify five teams for the World Women’s and Men’s Championships in 2024.
- Like the event's first edition, which was held in Calgary, this year's competition will feature an A- and B-Division, providing teams with a direct route to the World Championships, similar to the European Curling Championships format.
- The women’s teams competing in this year’s A-Division will be Australia, Canada, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, New Zealand, Chinese Taipei, and the United States.
- The men’s teams competing in this year’s A-Division will be Australia, Canada, Guyana, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Chinese Taipei, and the United States.
- The B-Division championships will occur in the same venue and are open for any other Member Association from the Americas and Pacific-Asia zonal regions to enter.
How to Prepare
- Let your team members know the event is taking place, informing them of the potential influx of customers, including numerous international visitors.
- Consider adjusting your staffing levels with the event schedule and the number of visitors in Kelowna.
- Welcome visitors through your social media channels and/or share event-related content using #exploreKelowna and the event's official hashtag #PCCC2023.
Together, we can ensure everyone visiting for the championships has a remarkable experience at the event and while they #exploreKelowna.
Click here for more information about the Pan Continental Curling Championships 2023. For more information about Tourism Kelowna's support of the event, please get in touch with Sara Correa at (250) 861-1515 ext. 218 or email@example.com.
About Tourism Kelowna's Major Events Strategy
The Pan Continental Curling Championships is a signature event that will generate significant economic impact during Kelowna’s slower fall tourism season. The event was supported through Tourism Kelowna's Major Events Strategy in partnership with the Kelowna Curling Club. This collaboration positioned Kelowna as the perfect host for the 2023 event, with our team assisting to secure funding, and to nurture key relationships with the World Curling Federation.