As part of its ambitious Federal Tourism Growth Strategy, the Government of Canada has launched the new Tourism Growth Program (TGP), which allocates $108 million in funding for eligible communities, businesses, and not-for-profit organizations.
In BC, the program will be managed by the Pacific Economic Development Agency of Canada (PacifiCan). Through this federal program, $14 million is being invested in BC to help small and medium-sized businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and communities, including Indigenous communities, develop local tourism attractions and experiences that make Canada a destination of choice.
PacifiCan will partner with small- and medium-sized tourism businesses and organizations that are growing and have ambitious plans for the future. In particular, the Tourism Growth Program in BC will support projects that align with existing tourism strategies and create lasting impact in communities across the province.
Eligible businesses and not-for-profit organizations can apply for up to $250,000; this will be interest-free repayable funding for businesses, while for not-for-profit organizations, it will be non-repayable.
Project activities must include at least one of the following priority areas:
- Support active tourism.
- Increase tourism benefits for communities.
- Support Indigenous tourism industry.
- Support economic, environmental, and cultural sustainability.
- Extend the tourism season.
- Complement support provided through provincial programs.
Additional details regarding the program, funding, priority areas and eligible project activities, application requirements, and more can be found on the PacifiCan website. Applications are open now and can be submitted through the same website. The application submission deadline is noon (PST) on February 20, 2024. All project activities and costs must be completed by March 31, 2026.
Information sessions about the Tourism Growth Program are being held virtually and in-person on the following dates:
- Virtual session for tourism businesses | December 6, 2023 | 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. PST
- Virtual session for non-profit organizations/governments | December 6, 2023 | 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. PST
- In-person session in Kelowna | December 7, 2023 | 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. PST | Email PacifiCan Southern Interior at email@example.com to register.
For additional Tourism Growth Program information, contact PacifiCan at (604) 666-6256 or 1-888-338-9378 (toll-free), or firstname.lastname@example.org.