We want to recognize some of the award wins and notable news from our local tourism industry that occurred over the past month.
- Indigenous World Spirits took home two Bronze medals from the 2021 Canadian Artisan Spirit competition, in the contemporary Gin and Vodka categories.
- Matthew Hassen, bartender at Cantina Del Centro and McCulloch Station Pub, was one of five winners at the Diageo World Class Canada West Coast Regional Finals. Matthew will go on to compete in the National Finals for a chance to represent Canada at the Diageo World Class Global Finals. Harry Dosanj (Bar Travelling Man) was also a finalist in the West Coast competition.
- Salt & Brick and Sunny’s – A Modern Diner were featured in episodes of Food Network Canada’s series, Big Food Bucket List, which highlights “must-eat meals” from restaurants across North America. Both episodes, which originally aired February 6 and 20, can be viewed on the Food Network website.
- RauDZ is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, having originally started as Fresco Restaurant and Lounge in 2001. Throughout the year, they will celebrate by creating special menus and paying tribute to their “food artisans and suppliers.”
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery partnered with Tradition: Chinese Cuisine restaurant to launch Peace Meals, offering organic Chinese meals for two or more people, which can be purchased for takeout or delivery.
- Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards and 19 Okanagan Grill + Bar have partnered to open 19 Bistro at Fitz. The new restaurant, which is set to open May 1, will offer lunch and dinner service, with a focus on pizzas from the wood-fired oven and dishes made with local ingredients, all paired with Fitz wines.
- Trevor Jones, owner of Il Mercato Kitchen in West Kelowna, is set to open The Landing Kitchen + Bar at the Cove Lakeside Resort. The anticipated opening date of the gastropub-style restaurant is April 1.
Have an award win or notable news to share? Email us all the details so we can include the information in our next roundup.