The Historic O’Keefe Ranch was established by Cornelius O’Keefe on June 15, 1867—just two weeks before Canadian confederation. O’Keefe went on to build a general store, a church, a gristmill and several orchards on his land. The O’Keefe Ranch was the end of the BC Express Stagecoach line in 1872, bringing mail and passengers to the Okanagan.
The Ranch was operated by the O’Keefe family for one hundred years, and in 1967, it was opened as an historical site by Cornelius O’Keefe’s youngest son, Tierney. In 1977, it was purchased by the Devonian Foundation and turned over to the City of Vernon to be run by the non-profit O’Keefe Ranch and Interior Heritage Society. The Ranch is open to the public seasonally, where visitors will find historically preserved buildings and displays that illuminate the history of the Ranching in the North Okanagan.