All businesses who participate in Tourism Kelowna's Necessities Advertising Package (NAP) advertising program receive a web listing on tourismkelowna.com. This post will provide tips to help you elevate your web listing, thereby keeping it fresh and drawing in visitors to learn more about your business.
1. Sense of Place
Places said to have a strong "sense of place" have a strong identity that is deeply felt by visitors.
You can create a sense of place with your listing by telling a story through an enticing description and eye-catching imagery. The purpose of the web listing is to drive traffic to your website. You want to provide just enough information in the listing to encourage visitors to click on your “Book Now” or “Website” button, or to check out your social media channels.
- Provide images that showcase what best represents your business.
- If you’re a B&B, show pictures of the front door, entrance, living space, amenities, bedrooms, and food options (if explicable).
- Give the visitor a good idea of what you can offer them.
- Write a description that adds to the photos. Most visitors will look at the photos first then move onto the description.
- Visitors have a good idea of what you offer from the images, now hook them in with the description.
- Describe the parts of your business that the visitor can’t see or build on the images.
2. Relevant and Timely
One of the most important and best ways to connect with visitors is by keeping your listing up to date and relevant. If a visitor lands on your listing and your description is geared towards summer, but we are in the middle of winter, the visitor might think you are closed for winter and will leave your listing right away. It is important to update your listing at a minimum once a year or, even better, seasonally. You are more likely to engage the visitor if your description is relevant and timely.
- It is important to keep your listing relevant with new information or images that will excite the visitor and make them want to learn more.
- If you are launching a new product or service, or are excited about an upcoming change, share that on your listing
3. Photo Quality
Off-putting, grainy or hard to distinguish photos will turn off a visitor right away. Photos are the first thing that a visitor will see when viewing your listing so having quality photos is key.
- You can include up to 10 photos in your listing. Try to have at least 5 photos; this is your opportunity to showcase your business.
If you are having a hard time trying to create quality photos, look at social media. On Instagram, you can search your business by location and or through hashtags. There may be photos your guests have taken and would be happy to share with you, perhaps in exchange for a discount on their next visit. Most people would be excited that you like their photo so much that you want to use it.
You can update your web listing using Tourism Kelowna's Extranet. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to update your listing. Or, if you need any assistance, please contact Steve Small at email@example.com or (250) 861-1515 ext. 216.