Local, provincial, and national organizations regularly host in-person and virtual events to provide learning and networking opportunities and facilitate discussions on various topics. Here are some upcoming events you can attend in the weeks ahead.
Black History Month
There are several events taking place throughout the month in honour of Black History Month, including:
- February 7: Vivo Per Questo – Power to the Words – Canada Tour featuring Rapper, Record Producer, and Activist, Amir Issaa | 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Hybrid Event)
- February 9: Unlearning Anti-Black Racism presented by the Centre for Diversity and Inclusion | 10 a.m. to 11 a.m
- February 11 - 27: The Hidden Story of Okanagan Black History | Various Times
- February 15: The Drag and Ball of It All, focused on "the intersection between Blackness and Queerness." | 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- February 17: Black Lives, Black Voices, and Black Identities in the Faculty of Medicine | 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- February 23: Move UBC: Research Roundtable on Anti-Racism and Lateral Allyship, conversation on Anti-Racism and Lateral Allyship in Physical Activity and Sport in Canada | Virtual Event: 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., In-Person Workshop: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- February 28: A Panel Conversation on the Black Experience in the Faculty of Applied Science | 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Hybrid Event)
Small Business BC (SBBC) has several upcoming webinars, including:
- February 7
- Creating a Website for Your Business | 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- February 8
- How to Drive More Traffic to Your Website | 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- February 9
- Mental Health Tools and Resources for Small Businesses: Part 1 | 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Navigating the Loans Process for Indigenous Entrepreneurs | 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- February 14:
- Blogging to Promote Your Business | 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Click the links above to register or visit the SBBC website to view additional upcoming webinars.
For information on how to access these and future education webinars, along with additional SBBC resources, free of charge, visit Destination BC’s website.
Join the Greater Westside Board of Trade (GWBT) at Wing's West Kelowna on Thursday, February 9, for their February Business After Hours event. From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., the event offers networking, local food and drink. and some great prizes. Tickets are $10 for members and $20 for non-members.
On Friday, February 10, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., the Lake Country Chamber of Commerce is hosting its 2022 Business Excellence Awards at Creekside Theatre. The "Nifty Bash" will celebrate the best of Lake Country businesses, and guests are encouraged to join in the fun of the '50s-style theme. Tickets are $55 per person and include individual charcuterie, dessert boxes, and a champagne toast. Visit the Chamber website for more information and to purchase tickets.
Hoteliers and their team members are invited to join the BC Hotel Association (BCHA) on Wednesday, February 15, to "discover how to thoughtfully welcome the LGBT+ community to your property." During the free online session, which will take place at 1 p.m., Loren Christie, Director of Business Development & Strategy at Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC), will deliver actionable tactics you can use. Learn more and register through Zoom.
Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) members and associate members are invited to attend the organization's next Ask an Expert webinar, focusing on travel content marketing. Experts Jessica Robinson and Jason Ainsworth from Globe Content Studio will lead the session, which takes place on Wednesday, February 15, at 11 a.m. PT. Learn more and register through the TIAC website.
Employers are invited to join Tourism HR Canada to learn more about the Propel Student Work Placement Program, which is a wage subsidy program designed specifically for the tourism and hospitality sector. The free info session will take place virtually on Thursday, February 16, at 10 a.m. PT. Registration can be completed through Zoom.
Future Industry Events
- Downtown After 5 | February 22, 2023 | Kelowna, BC
- 2022 Thompson Okanagan Tourism Summit | February 22, 2023 | Kamloops, BC
- 21st Annual Key Business Awards Presentation & Dinner | February 23, 2023 | West Kelowna, BC
- Attract & Hire Candidates for Hard-to-Fill Roles | February 23, 2023 | Kelowna, BC
- 2023 BC Tourism & Hospitality Conference | March 1 – 2, 2023 | Prince George, BC
- 2023 International Indigenous Tourism Conference | March 8 – 10, 2023 | Winnipeg, MB
- Every Chef Needs a Farmer, Every Farmer Needs a Chef | POSTPONED until Summer/Fall 2023 | Okanagan Valley, BC
Have an upcoming event or webinar that would interest those in the tourism industry? Email us so we can include the information in our next roundup.