Each May, the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) and tourism associations across the country, including the Tourism Industry Association of BC (TIABC), spearhead Tourism Week in Canada to draw attention to the importance of the industry, whose numerous contributions strengthen the economy and enrich the quality of life for Canadians. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, and with ongoing restrictions in place across the country, celebrating the value of Canada’s tourism industry and its champions is more important than ever.
For this year’s week-long celebration, which takes place from May 23-30, 2021, TIAC's aim is to recognize the resilience of the tourism industry. Those working in tourism are encouraged to “come together and virtually amplify the importance of our industry.” TIAC is also encouraging Canadians to take the 2021 Tourism Pledge to Travel in Canada, which you can learn more about on the Tourism Counts website.
In support of Tourism Week, so you can join us in showcasing the value of tourism in Kelowna and the Central Okanagan, we've put together a stakeholder toolkit with key messages, fast facts, assets, and suggested social media captions. The toolkit also includes our video and messaging for our second annual Love for Kelowna (LFK) Day—we hope you'll join us in promoting the day and in showing off your love for Kelowna on May 29.
During Tourism Week, we will also be kicking off an Industry News series recognizing and showcasing our industry stakeholders and the value of tourism in our community. If you are interested in participating in these content pieces, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your answers to three or more of the following questions:
- How does tourism positively impact your business or organization?
- What value does tourism bring to our local communities?
- How has your business or organization adapted or evolved through COVID-19?
- What do you value most about our local tourism industry?
- What other local business/organization would you recognize for their collaborative efforts, resiliency, and/or innovation since COVID-19 hit?
- What is your favourite Kelowna hidden gem or local spot that you'd recommend others to visit?
We encourage you to showcase your business’ contributions through your own channels as well. Here are a few ideas for you to consider:
- Highlight the work of a long-standing team member, welcome new faces, or give a shout-out to those who have made a difference throughout the pandemic.
- Share a quote or testimonial from a customer or supplier.
- Showcase uplifting stories or interesting tidbits about your business, to further connect with locals and with visitors who are planning for future travel.
When sharing content on social media, you can include the following hashtags: #TourismWeek, #TourismCounts, #BCTourismCounts, #TourismKelowna, and #exploreKelowna.
You can also follow TIAC, TIABC, and Destination BC on social media:
- TIAC: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- TIABC: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Destination BC: Twitter and LinkedIn.
Share, like, and retweet content from these channels, and from Tourism Kelowna's channels, to help spread the word about Tourism Week and Love for Kelowna Day. We look forward to celebrating our industry's ongoing efforts as we look towards recovery.