Recently, we conducted our third survey to assess the impact of COVID-19 on our stakeholders. Once again, the survey saw strong interest and engagement levels. The information our stakeholders provided continues to inform our marketing recovery plans and helps us convey the impact on our local tourism industry to various levels of government.
Key findings include:
- 67% of respondents have seen a 20% or higher decrease in revenue over the summer season.
- 74% are forecasting a 20% or higher decrease to revenue for the fall season
- 83% reported decreased sales over the same time last year, up from 47% reported in March.
- 50% reported summer visitation was higher than expected
- 73% are forecasting lower visitation this fall than last
- 30% reported less than usual business from locals, where as 25% reported more than usual support from locals
- 94% support Tourism Kelowna promoting businesses to a BC audience
- 42% of respondents are optimistic about the state of their business looking forward to 2021
Respondents also strongly support Tourism Kelowna promoting businesses nationally once non-essential travel is again recommended. They also conveyed they would like continued communication and information about Tourism Kelowna's marketing activities, continued local and British Columbia promotion, and continued health and safety messaging that promotes Kelowna as a safe place, with businesses adhering to all protocols outlined by BC Health Officials.
This feedback shows the economic impact that COVID-19 has had on businesses over the summer months, as well as the apprehension moving into the fall. It also shows strong support for continued travel promotion in British Columbia and Canada, once non-essential travel is recommended.
We want to thank all those that took the time to complete the survey, the information will help us as we continue planning our marketing recovery efforts for fall. We will continue to tell the Kelowna and Central Okanagan story to attract visitors to help support our industry.
If you have any questions about the survey results, please contact Tourism Kelowna's President & CEO, Lisanne Ballantyne, via email at email@example.com.