Kelowna offers a vast selection of experiences and products to enjoy. Whether you're travelling to our region or looking to make the most of where you live, treat yourself (or your friends and family) to some amazing local products this winter!
With a landscape covered in vineyards and tasting rooms, Kelowna has become synonymous with wine country, and many of our wineries offer amazing internationally awarded wines. However, locals know that there is so much more to offer, including world-renowned spirits, acclaimed craft beers, and delectable ciders.
- Mission Hill Family Estate Winery is one of the most recognizable, architecturally grand, and awarded wineries in the Okanagan. Head on over for their 30-minute seated tasting of carefully selected Reserve wines, and while you’re there pick up some incredible wines to take with you. Want to splurge? The Bordeaux-style Oculus Library wines are a proper treat.
- Add a little sparkle and some bubbles to these cold winter months with a spectacular bottle of sparkling wine from Summerhill Pyramid Winery—if you're really looking for the best of the best, the 100% organic Chardonnay Cipes Gabriel will fit the bill.
- Feeling fancy? Enjoy a little Icewine with your desserts this year! Pick up the 2018 Zweigelt Icewine from Volcanic Hills Estate Winery, made with grapes grown on vines planted in 1994, on-site at the winery, or the 2019 Reisling Icewine from Quails' Gate Estate Winery, which was awarded a Silver medal in the Icewine and Late Harvest category at the 2021 WineAlign National Wine Awards of Canada.
- Collaborations between local businesses lead to some amazing products, like the Golden Ticket Pastry Stout. This imperial oat stout was brewed by Vice & Virtue Brewing Co. in collaboration with Karat Chocolate, who supplied cacao nibs and vanilla beans for this unique brew. Until the end of January, those who purchase the beer can enter to win a multi-coursed, beer paired dinner for four, including a brewery tour.
- Okanagan Spirits, who was just awarded Artisanal Distillery of the Year at the 2022 Canada Whisky Awards, is a must-stop for spirits and whiskey lovers. Their award-winning Laird of Fintry Single Malt Whiskey is so exclusive and popular, you can only get it once a year and through a lottery, which is open now!
- The Okanagan Valley is well-known for its fruit, including cherries and apples. Scenic Road Cider takes both these local delicacies—in the form of dark cherry juice and dry apple cider—to create The Cidermaker's Select Series Cherry, which took home a Silver medal at the 2021 New York International Cider Competition.
Winter is the season for indulgence when it comes to treats and desserts. As luck would have it, Kelowna is good at is food! With so many local shops, bakeries, and markets offering an array of artisanal and small-batch goods, there's no doubt it's a foodie's paradise.
- A visit to Karat Chocolate + Pastry Boutique will have your taste buds singing thanks to their ever-evolving list of offerings that includes decadent cream puffs, desserts that could double as art pieces, stuffed croissants, handcrafted chocolates, and more! Since the menu changes almost daily, you'll want to pop in often or keep an eye on their Instagram page to see what's in the shop.
- Okanagan Grocery has been filling bellies with their delectable offerings since 2004. They have combined two of the world's favourite things—bread and chocolate—to create the Callebaut Chocolate Bread, filled with rich chocolate fudge and chocolate pieces. It's only available on Saturdays, so arrive early to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- You cannot go wrong with QB Gelato & Bakery, where almost everything is made from scratch, using local whenever possible. With a wide variety of gelato flavours that change regularly—January features include Sage & Burnt Butter, London Fog, and Guava Sorbet—there's something to please everyone's palate.
- Cheese lovers rejoice! Perseval & Young Cheesemongers, Kelowna's first specialty cheese shop, has created the Premier Cheese Club. Each month, local cheese club members will receive a box with three varieties of cheese with customized tasting notes. For those visiting the area, be sure to pop in and check out all the in-store offerings or order a box of cheese to take with you and enjoy on your travels.
The new year is often a time of renewal, so it makes sense to focus on self-care and pamper yourself a bit. Here are some Kelowna products that will help you feel your best this winter.
- Healing Hollow makes it easy to create a spa-like feeling at home with its array of bath products like foaming bath salts, bath bombs, and bath drops. You'll have that heavenly feeling and be relaxed in no time!
- While you're soaking in the tub, rest your eyes with the Lavender Eye Pillow from Meadow Vista Honey Wines. Add some candles from S&M Soap Co., with scents inspired by Kelowna and the Okanagan, along with a cup of Relaxing loose leaf tea from ChaiBaba and your me-time is complete.
- Soothe and restore that dry winter skin with the Botanical Body Butter from Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm. All of the herbs and botanicals used in the product are grown, harvested, and distilled right on the farm. Plus, the container is 100% biodegradable and plastic-free!
- If you're a fan of kombucha, you can brew your own at home with MotherLove's Kombucha Kit, which comes with step-by-step instructions and everything you need to get started. If you prefer to leave the brewing to the professionals, you can shop online—you'll receive a discount on cases of kombucha if you pick it up at the local brewery.
After you've treated yourself with the best of Kelowna, share the local love with your significant other, bestie, or loved ones for Valentine's Day. Here are a few ideas to get you started (keep an eye on our blog in the weeks ahead for more local offerings).
- Local floral designer, Fleurich Creations, has launched its breathtaking Valentine's Collection with bouquets starting at $30. Plus, stay tuned for more information on the Laurence Love gift boxes that will launch the last week of January.
- Karat Chocolate pulls out all the stops for the holidays and Valentine's Day is no exception—stay tuned to find out more about the ridiculously cute chocolate bears they are creating to celebrate love day.
- Nothing beats a spa day to relax and enjoy some one-on-one time. Check out the spa packages available at Beyond Wrapture, Spa at the Cove, or Damara Day Spa—all three day spas are located at Kelowna hotel properties, making it easy to plan a whole weekend of celebrating with a staycation or a quick getaway.