Located in the Okanagan Valley, Kelowna is surrounded by agricultural abundance. Everything from vineyards to apple and cherry orchards to honey farms and boutique ice cream makers and SO much more; tasting your way through the valley is one of the best ways to spend your time.
Over 40 wineries within 30 minutes of downtown Kelowna mean you can try a new one or three every day if you stay for a couple of weeks! ;) Try wines from small organic growers, biodynamic wine, wine aged in concrete, wine from single-vineyard reserves or exciting blends – all made from bright, aromatic white varietals like chardonnay and Riesling or fruit-forward reds like pinot noir, plus so much more.
- Priest Creek Family Estate Winery - opened in spring 2020, it's the newest winery on the Southeast Bench featuring wines made from 25 year old vines, plus new vines ready for harvest this fall.
- Mt. Boucherie Estate Winery - featuring wine craft first, product second, Mt. Boucherie creates wines that are of this specific place. A brand new wine tasting experience centre opened this summer, including The Modest Butcher, Kelowna's newest winery restaurant.
- Off the Grid Organic Winery - coming from a long line of family farmers, the winery was the natural next step for members of the Paynter family, creating organic wines from vines grown on family land.
- Tantalus Vineyards - focused on a small line of wines that are terroir-driven, Tantalus bottles three flagship varietals: Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
For all winery, information click here.
Many Kelowna restaurants are making names for themselves by doing classics with a modern twist or using the simplest ingredients to create comforting favourites. You can try things like vegan sushi, Mexican street tacos, bannock, brunch bowls, and delicious eggs benny.
- Renegade Kitchen & Craft Bar - delicious comfort food, and vegan! They also have fun, hand-crafted cocktails.
- El Taquero - Mexican dishes to die for including burritos, soup, and street tacos made from family recipes.
- Krafty Kitchen - don't miss their Saturday Hip Hop brunch with amazing brunch bowls and benny's you wouldn't expect including a vegan or vegetarian option.
- Sunny's Modern Diner - out of this world "diner" food made right in front of you in the open air kitchen, open for breakfast, brunch or lunch, it's a must on a Kelowna visit.
Click here for more casual comfort options.
17 breweries and counting! Not only does amazing wine get produced here, but we have exciting breweries brewing up classic pilsners, exotic ales, hoppy IPAs, fruity sours and interesting lagers. Try a pint or a flight to find some new favourites.
- Shoreline Brewing - combining great beer, good food and excellent location across from Gyro Beach, Shoreline opened in May 2020 and is one of the newest breweries in town.
- Kelowna Beer Institute - originally Tree Beer Institute, this brewery is the original in the city and they have been crafting traditional easy drinking beer, along with experimental varieties since 1996.
- BNA Brewing - creating fruitful IPAs, smooth porters, fresh wild blonde ales, and so much more; there's always something new on tap to pair with a great meal in the tasting room or eatery.
- Rustic Reel - creating beer that celebrates the Okanagan and the lifestyle of the area, enjoy a sleeve in a home-like relaxed setting.
Find out more about our breweries here.
Fabulous Farm to Table
It makes perfect sense that restaurants use the freshest ingredients when creating dishes here in Kelowna. Some restaurants are able to grow many of their ingredients themselves or can purchase from the farm across the road or visit the farmer's market to come up with the day's menu. Each season menus change according to what's in season.
- Home Block at CedarCreek - crafting dishes using simple ingredients, visit Home Block for a delectable wine-paired lunch or dinner.
- Waterfront Wines - one of Kelowna's original farm to table restaurants, has been named the Okanagan's Best Restaurant 11 years in a row.
- O'Rourke's Garden Bistro - creating wine-inspired dishes using plenty of ingredients grown on site, as well as locally-sourced products.
- Summerhill Organic Bistro - complimenting the organic winemaking, the bistro at Summerhill works closely with farmers and growers to source the freshest organic ingredients.
Click here for more farm to table options.
Have you ever visited a distillery on the farm that grows many of the products used to make their spirits? How about one that makes vodkas and gins from apples? What about a distillery with over 30 international awards? Guess what, they are all located right here.
- Wiseacre Farm Distillery - a micro-distillery that grows as much product as possible on their six acre farm.
- Forbidden Spirits - producing vodka and gin distilled 25 times from BC apples.
- Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery - recently names "Distillery of the Year" and "World-Class Distillery" for 2020 at the World-Spirit Awards, if you consider yourself a spirit aficionado, a visit to this distillery is a must.
Click here to find out more about each of them.
All of the apples from the orchards in and around Kelowna don’t just end up at grocery stores, plenty of them end up in delicious beverages like cider. Try traditional dry and crisp varieties or more sweet versions infused with other fresh Okanagan fruit.
- Scenic Road Cider Co. - equal parts innovative and traditional, Scenic Road creates small batches of hand-craft cider from apples grown on-site.
- Truck 59 Cider House - opening in 2018 with two ciders on tap, Truck 59 has grown to have eight ciders made with organic BC apples.
- BC Tree Fruits Cider Co. - creating fresh, crisp cider using fruit from BC Tree Fruits Growers, the cider now incorporates more than apples; pears and peaches have been added to the mix.
- Upside Cider - built by farmers that are committed to environmental sustainability, Upside Cider uses apples grown on the fully certified organic farm.
Learn more here.
Kelowna has some classic locally-owned and operated coffee shops and plenty of new kids on the block. The one thing that they all have in common? They all take great care in crafting up your caffeine of choice using the best ingredients. Many of them also offer a variety of baked goods and breakfast and lunch items.
- Bright Jenny Coffee - formally known as Canoe Coffee, Bright Jenny is a speciality coffee roaster creating small-batches sold to the public and used in the coffee shop. Try the deconstructed latte if you're looking for something truly unique.
- Bean Scene - with four locations throughout town, Bean Scene focuses on quality when choosing and roasting its coffee. Delicious treats, including vegan options, are also available at each location.
- Marmalade Cat Cafe - named one of Kelowna's "Best Independent Cafes", you'll find from-scratch made cooking and baking in a comforting atmosphere.
- Sprout Bread - technically an artisan bakery, Sprout offers up handmade pastries that perfectly pair with the speciality coffee on the menu.
Kelowna is an outdoor playground and food lover's paradise, if you need assistance narrowing down your options, please contact our Visitor Experiences Team. And, as always, when planning your visit to Kelowna, keep health and safety top of mind.